St. Anthony Catholic School is blessed to have a rich and long history providing a place for learning and faith-building in San Antonio.
From our beginning in 1907 to our present day campus, we have provided our students with an outstanding, well-rounded education rooted in the Catholic faith.
1907: Founded by the Sisters of Divine Providence
1908: New construction begins on a new building at the corner of Huisache and Howard. The new building, the current main building on campus, is finished in 1909.
1912: A high school curriculum is added. A relationship in worship begins with the Brothers of the St. Anthony Seminary, currently St. Anthony High School.
1940’s: The high school curriculum is dropped due to space constraints. In 1948, the Calhoun Home, now the Robert C. Benson Memorial Library, is purchased for use as a convent and boarder’s residence. The main building is renovated to meet the needs of the school.
1950’s: Boarding is discontinued to make room for even greater enrollment. By 1954, enrollment is over 300.
1962: The residence at the corner of Mulberry and Howard is obtained for use by the newly instituted kindergarten and existing music department.
1985: The pressures of staffing the school with lay teachers while holding down tuition becomes difficult. A group of dedicated parents, alumni, benefactors, and community leaders unite to keep the school open. St. Anthony reopens with 107 students in pre-kindergarten through 8th grade under the direction of a board of trustees and a school principal.
1987: The school is bought from the Sisters of Divine Providence.
1988: The school joins the Brainpower Connection of the University of the Incarnate Word. The Katherine Ryan Early Childhood Program, the KRP, relocates from UIW to the St. Anthony campus where it is currently administered.
2008: St. Anthony Catholic School celebrates 100 years of Faith and Knowledge.
Present: The school has opened the Benson Center for Academic Excellence, a state-of-the-art facility that houses the Welder Dining Hall and middle school classrooms, including the campus’ 2nd student computer lab.